[Insight-developers] Update on DICOM

Steve M. Robbins steve at sumost.ca
Fri Dec 23 12:44:59 EST 2011

Hi,

If I may butt in with my Debian maintainer hat on ...

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 12:03:54PM -0500, Brad King wrote:

> What is your plan for moving forward when the work is ready to be
> integrated in ITK upstream?  Do you want to try to maintain it as
> a submodule?  We could try bringing in a minimal snapshot of DCMTK
> like we do for HDF5:
>
>   http://itk.org/gitweb?p=ITK.git;a=blob;f=Modules/ThirdParty/HDF5/src/README-ITK.txt;hb=v4.0.0

I see that the HDF5 support can be built with a system install of
HDF5.  From a packager point of view, that is crucial.  I hope you
will similarly support a system DCMTK.

> This will also allow us to make ITK-specific fixes without waiting
> for changes to go upstream.

Is there a vision of coordinating with packagers on these ITK-specific
fixes?  As long as the ITK-specific fixes don't break non-ITK
software, Debian can generally apply the same fixes to the Debian
system HDF5, or DCMTK, etc.  So it would be awesome if there was a way
for me to receive notifications of such.  Any thoughts?

Thanks,
-Steve