[Insight-developers] MattesMutualInformation failures in ITK4

Stephen Aylward stephen.aylward at kitware.com
Tue Feb 1 20:13:34 EST 2011

Typically happens when the parameter scales are set incorrectly.

If the scales are too small then the optimizer may make too large of a
step (step size is about 1/scale) for a particular parameter.   This
could result in an image shooting past its target...so the joint PDFs
will sum to zero (indicating too few pixels overlap).

Scales should be 1/expected_value.   So, if you expect the shift
needed to solve a particular problem is 10mm, then the scale for the
offsets should be 1/10, then a unit step by the optimizer will lead to
the expected value.