[Insight-developers] ITKv4 Modularization Plan

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Tue Feb 8 08:38:53 EST 2011

On 2/7/2011 11:31 PM, Bill Lorensen wrote:
> I still do not like the directory names. I do not understand the
> justification. To me,
>
> itk-foo-bar could just as well be ITK/Foo/Bar which is mode familiar
> to ITK users and developers.
> and
> ITK/AnistropicSmoothing seems much better than itk-anisotropic-smoothing

The thought is that you could mix the modules with something that is not
itk.  In the future there might also be a cross platform package
management system, and the itk packages might live by themselves with
the correct depends of course.  In fact some linux distributions might
choose to do that now.  So, you would install
"itk-anisotropic-smoothing" as a package, and it would pull in all of
the modules that it depends on.  Even without a package system, the
CMake files are setup to be able to have additional packages added to
the tree.  You might have kitware-anisotropic-smoothing in the tree.  It
is much easier to put a namespace on it now and avoid changing names
again in the future if there are conflicts.

-Bill