[Insight-developers] ITKv4 Module Names

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu Feb 10 09:20:07 EST 2011

Hi Folks,

After debate with Bill Lorensen in the "ITKv4 Modularization Plan" thread:

  http://www.itk.org/mailman/private/insight-developers/2011-February/017095.html

about the module names, we looked into a new layout and naming that is closer
to existing ITK conventions.  I updated the CMake code that implements the
module infrastructure to make module names and locations totally independent.

Please see the attached file for the proposed names and layout.  For example,
the line

itk-anisotropic-smoothing  ITK-AnisotropicSmoothing  ITK/Filtering/AnisotropicSmoothing

proposes to rename the itk-anisotropic-smoothing to ITK-AnisotropicSmoothing and
relocate its source tree position from

  modules/itk-anisotropic-smoothing

  ITK/Filtering/AnisotropicSmoothing

Note that the "Filtering" directory diverges from the previous flat layout
We still treat the modules logically as a flat set but just organize the
source directory structure a bit.  Future re-organization of the directory
layout will not require any code changes.  The CMake code simply globs for
modules with

  <top>/*/*/itk-module.cmake
  <top>/*/*/*/itk-module.cmake

which allows up to two levels of grouping.  The first level is always
just "ITK/" for our modules but others that merge ITK into their source
can add "MyCompany/" modules too.

The attached file is just a rough draft.  I need help with choosing the
final CamelCase appearance of each module name.  Also, it doesn't account
for a couple of new modules that were added in the last day or 2 but
I think the idea is clear.

Comments?
-Brad