[Insight-developers] ITKv4 Modularization Plan

Steve M. Robbins steve at sumost.ca
Sat Feb 19 14:24:10 EST 2011

On Tue, Feb 08, 2011 at 04:45:50PM -0500, Brad King wrote:

> >>On 02/08/2011 04:37 PM, Bill Lorensen wrote:
> > I'm not concerned, at this point, about a flat layout. I'm concerned
> > about the naming conventions.
>
> The module names are later to match distro package names.  I don't
> see a single debian package in the default distribution with any
> upper-case letters in its name.

Is the intention that each module becomes a separate package?

Gaetan later posted there are something like 75 modules.  I can't say
I'm enthused (as the Debian packager) at creating 75 packages of ITK.

By the way, I also maintain the Boost packages for Debian.  Each boost
shared library (about 17 of them) produces two packages -- one with
the shared library and one with the static library and link library.
There are also a few doc and miscellaneous packages bringing the total
to 38 (and growing with each release of boost) which is way too many
to manage.

I'm more likely to create ONE development package (containing all the
headers) and a handful (3-4) of library packages, each containing a
cohesive set of shared libraries.

Cheers,
-Steve