[Insight-developers] ITKv4 Modularization Plan

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sat Feb 19 15:55:11 EST 2011

Hi Steve,

For the purpose of Linux distributions,
there will still be a single ITK package.

The content of that single package however,
could be customized by the packager by taking
advantage of the modularization.

For example,

One of the typical things that Linux packager
have to do with ITK is to:

a) Remove all third party libraries (png, jpeg, tiff, zlib),
b) Remove the "Review" directory

Both of these tasks will be a lot easier with the
modularization, and will enable you to create
a customized subset of ITK modules than then
can be distributed in a single Linux package.

As Bill nicely put it:

 "Modularization will enable more flexible packaging"