[Insight-developers] Modularization: First Impressions

Bill Lorensen bill.lorensen at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 14:36:57 EST 2011

Folks,

For the first time, I just followed the instructions at:
http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_Release_4/Modularization/Modulizer

I recommend that other developers try it out.

WARNING: Make sure your tree is clean. Remove any untracked files.

1) The script ran without any errors
2) The tree layout is excellent with 11 top level directories. They
seem to be logically named.
3) The next level directories, about 96 of them, also seem logical.
4) I ran cmake-gui. All of the modular options are in the ITKGroup
which makes it very easy to select groups.

First I ran with just the Core group selected, testing off. Generated 25 libs.
Then, selected all modules, testing off: Generated 57 libs.

Turned on Testing and ran for an expected (longer) amount of time.

Summary
-------

I like the two(3)-level naming scheme.

In general, everything seemed to run faster: cmake and building.

I expect that I and others will have some tweaks on naming, etc. but
my initial impression is very positive.

As I said before, I appreciate that the Modularization team listened
to us and will provide a great solution to handle the complexity of a
large toolkit like ITK and eventually VTK.

Bill