[Insight-developers] Modularization Use Cases

Stephen Aylward stephen.aylward at kitware.com
Tue Jan 25 11:44:23 EST 2011

Hi,

The presentation Bill mention discussed the use of Labels with
Dashboards - so that errors, warnings, coverage, style, etc were
reported on a per-module basis.

That dashboard feature is an adjunct to packaging.  Basically, once
the packages are brought together and compiled and tested together, it
remains possible for the errors, etc of the component parts to be
reported separately on the dashboard.

A running example is at:
http://my.cdash.org/index.php?project=CTK

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 11:25 AM, Bill Lorensen <bill.lorensen at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>> FEM, Demons, Tensor Images, Vector Images, Bias Field Correction,
>>> XML parsing, Neural Networks, PDE deformable registration, Voronoi
>>> segmentation...   among others.
>>>

>>> From the 1,496 header files currently available in ITK/Code
>>>
>>> SNAP only include (directly) 140 of those headers.
>>>
>>> (the list is attached to this email for convenience)
>>> ( interestingly, 16 of those 140 are ImageIO classes )
>>>

>>> so,
>>>
>>>                  SNAP uses about 1% of ITK
>>>

>>> Granted,
>>> those 140 headers probably pull in another 200..(maybe ?).
>>> but still, that will make about 3~4% of ITK.
>>>
>>> ----
>>>
>>> In the case of Slicer3.6:
>>>
>>> There are 467 ITK unique headers included in its source code.
>>>
>>>               So, Slicer uses about 30% of ITK.
>>>

>>> This list of headers is also attached to this email for convenience.
>>>

>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>

>>> The rationale for modularization derives from this graph:
>>>
>>> http://public.kitware.com/pub/itk/InsightStatCVS/loc.html
>>>
>>> Essentially:
>>>
>>>                       ITK has Linear Growth
>>>
>>> The toolkit has consistently increased in number of lines
>>> during the past ten years.  We have every reason to think
>>> that it will continue growing at a similar rate for the next
>>> ten years, as more specialized algorithms and classes are
>>> added to it.
>>>
>>> In particular, as we reach out to the application domains
>>> of microscopy, remote sensing and computer vision.
>>>

>>> Here is already the bump in growth for 2011:
>>>
>>> http://public.kitware.com/pub/itk/gitstat/ITK/lines.html
>>>
>>> As more code is added to the toolkit, it becomes harder
>>> to distribute, tests, and maintain.  Modularization is one,
>>> among many other (as you point out), approaches for
>>> letting ITK continue growing without getting out of hand.
>>>

>>> The immediate goals for modularization are:
>>>
>>> 1) Find / label / remove the trash in ITK.
>>>

>>> 2) Organize the ~2,330 files into conceptual cohesive groups.
>>>

>>> 3) Test and label each group according to measures of
>>>    quality control : Code coverage, correctness, style,
>>>    dynamic testing, documentation...
>>>

>>> 4) Raise the quality bar for critical components.
>>>
>>>    For example, the itkObject must have 100% code coverage,
>>>    while we could live with the Blox classes having 30%.
>>>

>>> 5) Maintain that level of quality as more code is added to the toolkit.
>>>

>>> 6) Facilitate the use of Add-ons with ITK without having to
>>>    include them in the toolkit.
>>>
>>>    So a specialized module that INRIA may create, could be
>>>    distributed as a module that specific application developers
>>>    can add to their ITK installation as an extra module.
>>>
>>>    The same way that you can install extra packages in a Linux
>>>    distribution, or R-packages in an R installation, or extra packages
>>>    in a Latex installation, or extra toolboxes in Matlab, or extra plugins
>>>    in Firefox.
>>>

>>> Points (1-5) relate quite closely to Six Sigma methodologies

>>> Measure
>>> Analyze
>>> Improve

--