[Insight-developers] Large number of SimpleITK Gerrit topics

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Sun Jul 31 09:03:25 EDT 2011

On 7/31/2011 7:46 AM, Bill Lorensen wrote:
> There are a large number of SimpleITK gerrit topics. Did you mean to
> push this many topics to Gerrit? If so, perhaps we should find a better
> way, tother than gerrit, to accommodate this number of topics.

The problem is that SimpleITK is using a workflow with a 'next'
branch.  Gerrit does not work well with multiple integration
branches so the repository it has for SimpleITK does not know
about the 'next' branch, only about 'master'.  Someone based
a topic on 'next' and then pushed it for review.  This brought
along all the merges ever made into 'next' each as its own commit
for review.

The main repository would reject an attempt to push this topic
because it is based on 'next'.  The Gerrit-held repository does
not have any such hooks.  I don't remember off the top of my head
if Gerrit supports the hooks necessary to do a push-time rejection
in this case.

To clean this up someone will have to go through and abandon all
the reviews whose summary ends in "into 'next'".  Then rebase
the topic on 'master' and push for review again.

-Brad