[Insight-developers] Feature Bloat

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Wed Jun 1 10:50:42 EDT 2011

Hello,

I have some concerns that many basic filters are quickly becoming feature bloated. There have been many patches along these lines this is just one example.

I just saw the following patch:
http://itk.org/gitweb?p=ITK.git;a=commitdiff;h=cee7ada7339cba22bc154cede7116346b13c3705

This new feature does not adjust the requested region bases on the needed regions for the operations.  This means it will not would with streaming, and may produce undefined behavior (potentially segfault ). Additionally, it's not clear to me how this interacts with Gaetan's new constant value data object as an input.

I am seeing a lot of new features being added to filters. And I am concerned that there is no larger plan for the features that people want to add to filters, and  the consequences of maintaining all these new features.

Or perhaps I am just getting set in my ways because I am working from my basement for a little bit today :)

Brad