[Insight-developers] Dashboard woes

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu Jun 2 08:57:29 EDT 2011

Bill,

This is the consequence of an incomplete analysis
of dependencies when making changes.

1) The Changes in BinaryFunctorImageFilter
    introduced the use of the LinearInterpolator
    in a filter that up to now was quite self-sufficient.

2) BinaryFunctorImageFilter in in Core/Common

3) ITK-Common DEPENDS ITK-VNLInstantiation ITK-KWSys
     (only)

4) With the changes in BinaryFunctor, now Common
     depends (in practice) on the ITK-ImageFunctions module.
     because that's where the Interpolators are. But, the
     module dependency was not made explicit because...

5)  ITK-ImageFunction already depends on ITK-Common

6)  Ergo sum: Circular dependency

7) Why did this go unnoticed before ?

     Because the test of the BinaryFunctor was made to
     depend on the ITK-ImageFunction module, giving
     the false impression that the problem was fixed.

8)  The recent relocation of the ImageCompose - related
      filters exposed the missing dependency between
      the BinaryFunctorImageFitler and the Interpolators.

---

I would have to agree with Brad L. on that this change
in BinaryFunctorImageFilter is feature creep, and that
we should reconsider the usefulness of that change.

      Luis