[Insight-developers] Tips for faster testing?

Cory Quammen cquammen at cs.unc.edu
Wed Jun 15 12:09:40 EDT 2011

David,

Thanks, for the information. I tried ctest -j 4, but I think I
prematurely abandoned it because it seemed that it was taking longer
than a serial run. However, running through a full run, I see now that
it somehow seems to run the longest running tests first and then the
faster tests, so I wrongly jumped to the conclusion that something was
wrong with the parallel tests.

For the curious, here are my results with a debug build:

ctest: 27 minutes
ctest -j 4: 10 minutes
ctest -j 8: 10 minutes

Indeed, the -j 4 option speeds things up nicely, but there is no
benefit to use -j 8 on my machine.

- Cory