[Insight-developers] SimpleITK Alpha01 tagged

Dan Mueller dan.muel at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 14:11:59 EDT 2011

Hi Brad,

I have been playing around with SimpleITK. My initial thought is:
nice! For me the most noticeable aspect is the simplification
surrounding pixel types.

However, there are a few (important) things I miss:

1. I could not find a way to import/export pixel data (i.e. there is
no ImportImageFilter and no access to the pixel buffer/container). (I
did find Examples/ImageConnection.java, but I don't see how it can
work -- I can't find Image::GetPixelContainer. Is this example/test
passing?).

2. ImageFileReader needs Get/SetInputPixelType, and ImageFileWriter
needs Get/SetOutputPixelType (similar to CastImageFilter).

3. Coverage needs to be improved. I am missing distance map, fast
marching, various image grid filters (resample, pad, orient),
(quad)mesh, etc.

4. I am still an advocate of the strategy pattern, though obviously
I'm very biased :P
    http://www.insight-journal.org/browse/publication/786

If I can find the time, I'll try to push a few changesets addressing these gaps.

Cheers, Dan (Mueller)