[Insight-developers] vs8 and templates

Alexandre GOUAILLARD agouaillard at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 12:44:06 EDT 2011

dear all,

I m trying to address the following errors:

and it boils down to vs8 no being able to match types.

in itkvector.h for example we have this:
(T is the first template of the class)
typedef T                                             ValueType;
typedef typename NumericTraits< ValueType >::RealType RealValueType;
then
RealValueType GetSquaredNorm( void ) const

in itkVector.txx we have:
template< class T, unsigned int TVectorDimension >
typename Vector< T, TVectorDimension >::RealValueType
Vector< T, TVectorDimension >
::GetSquaredNorm(void) const

and vs8 does not seem to match the return type

now if I explicitly replace the return type like this in the definition:
template< class T, unsigned int TVectorDimension >
typename NumericTraits< T >::RealType
Vector< T, TVectorDimension >
::GetSquaredNorm(void) const

then it compiles, but it seems a little bit brutal.

Is there any better workaround?

Am I missing something?

alex.