[Insight-developers] Fwd: Change in ITK[master]: COMP: root of source and binary dir of ITK should not be too...

Casey Goodlett casey.goodlett at kitware.com
Thu Jun 23 14:59:31 EDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 2:13 PM, David Cole <david.cole at kitware.com> wrote:

> This gerrit change proposes to limit the path length of both the source and
> binary trees on Windows builds of ITK. Before we accept this change, is
> there anybody who has a reason why this would be a problem for them?
>
> I think it's a reasonable compromise given the length of the depth of the
> tree, and the problems that ensue. (When using certain versions of CMake and
> certain versions of Visual Studio, relative path names combined with the
> absolute path of the build tree, combine to exceed the 250-something
> character file name limit in some of the underlying Windows tools used...)
>
> Raise objections now, if any, or forever hold your peace. :-)

I have some projects using ITK via superbuild that are working now under ITK
3.20 that would no longer compile with this change.

In general I would prefer not to have a hard limit, but if the limit is
necessary, is 50 characters the largest possible limit?  Is the largest path
length in ITK  200 characters?  I am able to build with a longer than 50
character path now using ITK 3.20.

Casey B. Goodlett, Ph.D.
R&D Engineer
Kitware, Inc. - North Carolina Office