[Insight-developers] ITKv4: Features vs Clean up

Rupert Brooks rupert.brooks at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 08:12:24 EDT 2011

Hi Brian,

This looks very interesting.  I hope you dont mind a few questions.
If theres a written document to refer me to, feel free.

I've been reading this:
http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_Release_4/Enhancing_Image_Registration_Framework
but i have trouble mapping it to what i see in the GIT.

I'm having some trouble identifying all the diffs between the
Registration branch and current ITK master, but it seems to me that
most is in Modules/Registration/Refactoring.  Would that be the case?
Is this ImageToObjectRegistration framework intended to replace one or
more of the current Parametric / PDE / FEM registration frameworks, or
to be in parallel with them.   Or, to ask my question another way - I
currently have some feedback / commentary regarding
itkOptimizer.h and its children...
itkCompositeTransform.txx
itkImageToImageMetric.txx
itkNormalizedCorrelationImageToImageMetric.txx
which are in Modules/Registration/Common

Currently in RegistrationRefactoringNew these seem to be the same as
in master.  Will the new refactored framework replace these classes,
so i shouldnt spend any time fiddling with them, or is it more or less
independent.

I've only had about half an hour to look at it, and i havent had time
to compile it yet, so i may be about to embarrass myself with a stupid
question.  I'll ask anyway.  A core fundamental refactoring - looking
at the example you pointed me to - is that the update to the
parameters seems to have been pushed down all the way to the
transform, via the metric in the middle.  This is a very interesting
choice - for transforms such as the versor transform, which must
remain on a manifold that doesnt embed well in Euclidean space, this
removes the constraint issue from the optimizer. However - it did make
me wonder - what if i want to do anything other than gradient descent?
 Also, it seems to force the computation to complete an entire
computation of the gradient, and hold it in memory, even though for a
local transform, it may be possible to perform the same update without
ever actually creating the whole gradient object in memory at once?

I saw tantalizing pieces of GPU registration code commented out.  Is
that in process somewhere?

In any case, i will spend more time on it which should hopefully lead
to more intelligent commentary, over the weekend.

Cheers,
Rupert
Rupert Brooks
rupert.brooks at gmail.com