[Insight-developers] Style question -- is &* as confusing to everyone else as it is to me?

Williams, Norman K norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu
Thu Jun 30 11:10:00 EDT 2011

I ran into this in cleaning up the FEM stuff:

In many places in ITK, the notation

&*ASmartPointer

is used in preference to

SmartPointer.GetPointer()

This seems like an over-concise obfuscation to me, and something likely to
confuse people new to smart pointers. 'Take the address of what's pointed
to by this pointer' is what most people would see at first, and it depends
on overloading: overloading that's hidden deep somewhere in included
headers.

I'd like to get rid of them all, but not without consulting you lot.
WHO'S WITH ME?