[Insight-developers] Broken Continuous

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Fri May 20 07:10:16 EDT 2011

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 4:42 PM, Williams, Norman K <
norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu> wrote:

> I get a little concerned about adding dependencies like this.  On the one
> hand, strictly limiting inter-module dependencies is a Good Thing.  It
> allows proper subsets of monolithic ITK to be built -- providing of course
> that users will do the legwork to only build the modules they actually
> need.
>
> On the other hand, it means that one can no longer write code inside the
> library proper without considering whether or not to introduce a new
> dependency. It makes it feel as though one no longer has the whole library
> at your disposal.

This is simply part of the price of "modularization" -- you do NOT have the
whole library "at your disposal" anymore, in that you are not allowed to
simply use anything from anywhere without consideration of the consequences.

Of course, in the long run, I think this is a good thing, and will lead to a
better organized, easier to understand, easier to explain, easier to use
toolkit. Which makes it worth the price of "a bit more difficult to develop
for."

2 cents only,
David