[Insight-developers] Tarball of external data files

Cory Quammen cquammen at cs.unc.edu
Mon Nov 28 11:48:33 EST 2011

Hi all,

While waiting for the completion of 'make ITKData' run for the first
time on a new machine, I had time to ponder how to speed up the
initial download of ITK's external test data. My solution was to tar
up the external data directory that already had the complete data on
one machine, transfer it to my new machine, untar it, set the
ExternalData_OBJECT_STORES to this directory, and voila, no need to
wait the 20-30 minutes that the usual one-by-one download procedure
takes when you invoke 'make ITKData' for the first time.

Having saved myself a considerable amount of time, I thought I would
share. You can download my gzipped tar file here:

http://www.cs.unc.edu/~cquammen/ITK/ITKExternalData.tgz

This is up to date as of about a week ago. You will likely need to run
'make ITKData' to bring it up to date.

If there is sufficient interest, I'll automate the production and
posting of the tarball to be done nightly. Perhaps we'd want to put it
in a more official place than my work website?

Wish list for the external data development team: It would be
wonderful if the download of the tarball were incorporated into the
external testing data mechanism itself.

Cory

--
Cory Quammen