[Insight-developers] Trouble merging gerrit topic

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Fri Oct 7 17:23:01 EDT 2011

On 10/7/2011 5:09 PM, M Stauffer (V) wrote:
> This makes me realize I don't know enough about the details of how
> gerrit works. If all we do with a branch is 'git gerrit-push', and then
> eventually a 'git gerrit-merge', it should be fine, right?

Yes, if the merge works without conflicts.  Note that "gerrit-merge"
actually has nothing to do with Gerrit at all.  It is named that way
because our goal is that Gerrit will eventually be the underlying
implementation of the command.  Right now gerrit-merge actually pushes
the changes to an intermediate "topic stage" repository on itk.org.
Then it invokes a command on the server via ssh to tell it to merge
the change.  This is all hidden behind the gerrit-merge alias.

 > What could we have done to get it pushed to topic stage w/out merging?

If you did gerrit-merge and the merge failed with conflicts then the
topic would have been left on the stage.  In that case instructions
should have been emitted about how to proceed.

-Brad