[Insight-developers] To Bridge or not to Bridge

Bill Lorensen bill.lorensen at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 14:53:52 EDT 2011

Xiaoxiao,

After the discussion on today's t-con. I thought a bit more about the role
of the Bridge modules.

1) As you clearly reminded us today, the groups are just an organizational
mechanism; it is the modules that are functionally driven.
2) modules can be easily moved between groups without impact on the user.
3) The modules currently in Bridge are general interface modules to external
toolkits like vtk and vxl.

The level set vis classes are not general interface modules. They are
tightly coupled to the LevelSetsv4 module. Likewise, the OpenCV/vxl video
modules (that will be eventually committed) are also not general interface
modules.

Organizationally, it makes sense for the LevelsSet visualization modules to
reside in the same group as the LevelSetsv4 module and likewise, new
OpenCV/vxl video interface modules should organizationally reside with the
other Video modules.

In summary, I recommend that the levelset vis classes reside in the same
group as the LevelSetsv4 module and the anticipated OpenCV/vxl video classes
reside in the same groups as the Video classes. They can still use the cmake
mechanisms we used in the current Bridge modules.

I was confusing functionality with organization.

Thanks to all for a productive discussion today. I think it shows the value
of in-person versus e-mail debates.

Bill