[Insight-developers] how to provide A2D2 denoising code?

Kris Zygmunt krismz at sci.utah.edu
Thu Sep 22 17:59:14 EDT 2011

Hi Bill and Xiaoxiao,
    Thanks for your responses.  My main concern was polluting other
modules with all of these dependencies, so it sounds like it is best
to create a fresh one.  There is definitely room for expansion via
subclassing later, but for now it will be a small module.  I'll pose
the question again in gerrit  as it may be possible to reduce the
dependencies by changing the API.  ( A long discussion, I'll wait for
gerrit to explain).  For now I'll create the new module and add the
topic.

For the Statistics module, I don't have any specific suggestions yet
for reorganizing it.  I just wanted to know whether there were any
short-term plans to do so, so that I could organize my files
accordingly.

As far as VNL goes, I guess my question is really related to defining
the module dependencies for the new Filtering/Denoising module.  Do I
say that I'm dependent on ITKVNL or ITKVNLInstantiation or both or
something else?  The library linking seems to have worked via the
magic of ITK_LIBRARIES.

Thanks!
Kris

On Sep 22, 2011, at 3:51 PM, Bill Lorensen wrote:

> For the time being, I suggest placing it in Filtering/Denoising. It
> has a lot of dependencies for such a small module. As Xiaoxiao
> mentioned, you will get more feedback once it is in gerrit.
>
> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 5:44 PM, Xiaoxiao Liu <xiaoxiao.liu at kitware.com
> > wrote:
>> Hi Kris,
>> Please see my comments below.
>> Once you put your patch on gerrit, I am sure you will  receive more
>> detailed
>> and  insightful suggestions from everyone.
>> Thanks.
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 5:14 PM, Kris Zygmunt <krismz at sci.utah.edu>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello!
>>>    I am (finally!) ready to provide the A2D2 denoising code and just
>>> wanted to discuss the best way to do so.  I will create a gerrit
>>> topic
>>> called a2d2-denoising and put my changes there.  I think it makes
>>> the most
>>> sense to create a new Denoising module in Filtering, but please
>>> let me know
>>> if I should put the code elsewhere.  I have the following files:
>>>
>>> denoising filter hierarchy that will be dependent on
>>> ITKStatistics, ITKCommon, vnl, ITKImageStatistics, ITKImageGrid,
>>> ITKTransform, ITKImageFunction, ITKImageAdaptors
>>> This hierarchy should be in Filtering somewhere, but does it go
>>> into a new
>>> module (called Denoising?) or an existing one?
>>> itkPatchBasedDenoisingBaseImageFilter.{h,hxx}
>>> itkPatchBasedDenoisingImageFilter.{h,hxx}
>>> <associated test code will go in the associated test directory>
>>>
>> How many new classes you are going to introduce into ITK? Are there
>> potential growth or further development if we make it
>> as a module called ITKDenoising?
>>

>>> Image to sample adaptor to be put in the Modules/Numerics/
>>> Statistics area
>>> itkImageToNeighborhoodSampleAdaptor.{h,hxx}
>>>

>>> Generic subsampler hierarchy that I think fits in the
>>> Modules/Numerics/Statistics area
>>> itkSubsamplerBase.{h,hxx}
>>> itkRegionConstrainedSubsampler.{h,hxx}
>>> itkSpatialNeighborSubsampler.{h,hxx}
>>> itkUniformRandomSpatialNeighborSubsampler.{h,hxx}
>>> itkGaussianRandomSpatialNeighborSubsampler.{h,hxx}
>>>
>>> It seems like Modules/Numerics/Statistics is rather large, are
>>> there any
>>> plans to split this into smaller modules?  What is the recommended
>>> way to
>>> include vnl in CMake for ITKv4?

>> If you have suggestions about how we should divide it up to
>> meaningful
>> smaller modules, please advice.
>> We have a ITKVNL module distributed inside ITK as a third party
>> library
>> (have you tried to use this module yet?).
>> Uses could choose to use their own system installed version of  VXL
>> by
>> turning on ITK_USE_SYSTEM_VXL.
>>

>>> Thanks!
>>> Kris