[Insight-developers] Sharing data among several builds ?

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Mon Sep 26 10:02:06 EDT 2011

On 9/26/2011 9:39 AM, Arnaud Gelas wrote:
> Is it now possible to use a same directory for the data for different nightly builds?
> If yes, how to proceed?

Yes.  I also updated the itk_common.cmake and itkmodular_common.cmake
dashboard scripts to do this automatically for dashboard builds.  That
is why I asked everyone to update their scripts last week (though not
all machines have been updated yet AFAICT).  Just pull the latest changes
from the ITK.git "dashboard" branch into your local scripts directory.

After that a single directory named "ExternalData" will appear next to
your source directories.  It will persist across multiple nights so you
don't end up downloading the same objects over and over.  This is safe
because the object content is stateless and objects are created atomically.

It will also work for personal development builds.  There is an advanced
cache entry named ExternalData_OBJECT_STORES.  Just point it at some
directory outside your ITK build trees somewhere on your disk.  Point
all your build trees to the same location.  They will all share objects
in a local repository at that location.

-Brad