[Insight-developers] Odd git behavior with code reversion.

M Stauffer (V) mstauff at verizon.net
Thu Sep 29 12:20:50 EDT 2011

Hi,

I've seen a strange reversion of a gerrit patch without any mention in
git blame.

Commit dc7a10 introduced a change in
itkImageToImageObjectMetric.hxx:1089, to look like this:

{
  itkExceptionMacro("GetValueAndDerivativeProcessPoint called in base
class. "
                    "Must be overridden by derived class.");
  return false;
}

Then commit 6cdfac reverted it back, presumably by accident or otherwise
by some git error, to look like this, as it had been before dc7a10:

{
  return false;
}

But when I do 'git blame' on the file the commit listed for the lines in
question is 0642b914, which is the original commit. Shouldn't git blame
show dc7a10 as having reverted the change? It would be more helpful if
it did, to quickly see where the code reverted.

-M