[Insight-developers] Reducing the number of targets

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Mon Apr 2 08:49:47 EDT 2012

Currently VS 2010 appears to be having trouble with the number of targets that we have. I was looking over them and I was trying to figure out which ones are really required, and my be sacrificed before requiring testing to examples to be turned off.

Here is some searching:

$ make help | wc -l
     868

$make help |grep \\-all | wc -l
     120

$make help |grep HeaderTest | wc -l
     224

$ make help |grep HeaderTestClean | wc -l
     100

So there are ~868 targets. Then 120 have the form ITKModuleName-all. Then there are the HeaderTest, which each individual module also contains a clean target. I so no reason my all the Clean targets could not be consolidated into one.

I believe that these 344 targets, between the HeaderTest and "-all" targets should be automatically sacrificed before requiring testing or examples to be turned off. While I still need to do the actual experiment to verify that disabling these tests enable VS2010 to work with examples and tests, I am very optimistic.

Anyone else have suggestions on reducing the number of targets or the importance of these targets?

Brad

Bradley Lowekamp
Medical Science and Computing for
National Library of Medicine