[Insight-developers] Fwd: SimpleITK TCON - Special Topic On R Wrapping

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Wed Feb 1 09:14:38 EST 2012

Hello Richard,

Looks like this is a nice step.

I am forwarding this to the insight developers list as other may be interested in your work. It will be also best to share the discussions of SimpleITK design for posterity's sake.

My couple of comments:

The image print method should use sitk::Image::ToString. A very similar method exits is java and python and they all just use this method to print the object.

It looks like you spent a little effort adding methods to the wrapped stl::vector class.The design of SimpleITK is to use the std::vector types for the small variable length vector and vectors that are the length of the image dimension. So they are used alot. I think the goal of wrapping them should be that this type gets mapped to the wrapped languages native array/vector type.

I think we are going to need to spend a bit of time in this section of the SWIG documentation to get the R wrapping the way it should be:

http://www.swig.org/Doc2.0/Extending.html#Extending

Brad

Begin forwarded message:

blowekamp at mail.nih.gov