[Insight-developers] Building ITK with Module_ITKVtkGlue forces client applications to find_package(VTK)?

Xiaoxiao Liu xiaoxiao.liu at kitware.com
Tue Jun 26 13:36:40 EDT 2012

Some of my thoughts:

1). I agreed that we haven't take full advantage of modular VTK in ITK yet.
     VtkGlue module itself should only depends on several VTK modules
instead of entire VTK_LIBRAIRES.

2) When building ITK, ITK_LIBRAIRES should  include all depending libraries
turned on by enabled modules.
   Users then should be able do
*               Find( ITK     Required     ITKCommon  ITKVtkGlue) *
   in their itk application code without specifying "Find(VTK .....)" in
their own code, unless their code depends on
   some other vtk modules  which are not specified in VtkGlue's dependency
list.

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 1:16 PM, Bill Lorensen <bill.lorensen at gmail.com>wrote:

> The more I think about it, it may not be a bug
>
> VTK modular lets us just link against certain modules.
>
> for example, FIND(VTK REQUIRED vtkOpenGLRendering)
>
> ITK and your App may have different module requirements.
>
> We are not taking advantage of this yet.
>
> Bill
>
> On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 1:10 PM, Bill Lorensen <bill.lorensen at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > After VTK modular, the USE_VTK_FILE does a lot more. I think for the
> > time being, you will have to
> > FIND_PACKAGE(VTK)
> > INCLUDE(${USE_VTK_FILE})
> >
> > the ITK configuration is not smart enough yet.
> >
> > It's definitely a bug.
> >
> > On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 1:07 PM, David Doria <daviddoria at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Bill Lorensen <
> bill.lorensen at gmail.com>

> >> I actually don't need ${VTK_LIBRARIES},
> >>
> >> TARGET_LINK_LIBRARIES(TestITK ${ITK_LIBRARIES})
> >>
> >> is sufficient. However, what I do need is:
> >>
> >> FIND_PACKAGE(VTK)
> >> INCLUDE(${USE_VTK_FILE})
> >>
> >> Which I agree is not right :)
> >>
> >> David
> >

> > --
> > Unpaid intern in BillsBasement at noware dot com
>

> --

*Xiaoxiao Liu*, Ph.D.
R & D Engineer
Kitware Inc <http://www.kitware.com/>.
Clifton Park, NY
Phone: (518) 881-4924  or  (518) 371-3971 x124