[Insight-developers] Critical Visual Studio 10 Issue

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu Mar 1 14:09:36 EST 2012

On 3/1/2012 9:56 AM, Bill Lorensen wrote:
> I'll briing this up again since Brad encountered it.
>
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 5:12 PM, Bill Lorensen<bill.lorensen at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> The build "hangs" almost immediately, with the following messages on the screen:
>>
>> 1>------ Build started: Project: ZERO_CHECK, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
>> 2>------ Skipped Build: Project: RUN_TESTS, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
>> 2>Project not selected to build for this solution configuration
>> 1>Build started 2/15/2012 3:25:25 PM.

I'm able to reproduce it with the VS10 Win64 generator
after enabling BUILD_TESTING and BUILD_EXAMPLES (and
all modules as required by the examples).  It seems to
have to do with the sheer number of project files in
the generated solution, a.k.a. the number of libraries
and executables.

I commented out different groups of subdirectories
under Examples in order to shrink the number of exes.
Under about 700 it works, and over that it fails.  I
tried various combinations to be sure that no particular
directory causes the problem.

This is a problem of scale.  There are about 500 example
executables that each separately link.  Since most are
meant as examples of ITK C++ code and not about how to
use CMake to build them I think many could be combined
into "example driver" executables similar to the test
drivers.  I think we may have had something like that
in the past.  Extra source files used for the drivers
#define main to something and then #include the example
main source.

-Brad K