[Insight-developers] Gerrit topic support for ITK

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Wed Mar 14 20:29:55 EDT 2012

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 6:40 PM, Bill Lorensen <bill.lorensen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Marcus and team have added topic support to gerrit for VTK patches. I
> brought this up awhile ago and suggested that we use this facility for
> ITK once we made the ITK 4.1 release.
>
> I'm not sure how much work it takes, but it certainly makes it easier
> to review patches that have multiple commits much more manageable and
> it faciltates maintaining the history of complex patches.

As Matt pointed out, the main issue is in removing the topic stage and
letting Gerrit make the merges. This means that Gerrit will take over
replication of the git repository to read only mirrors too, and Brad
already made the topic stage content checks into a Gerrit post
changeset create hook.

We get a separate event to trigger the builds of topic tips, and once
we have a little time we are going to finish the support for the Build
Status interface to request builds for those not in the auto-trigger
group. There are some issues with emails that we would like to round
out too (not getting them for topic events, and getting too many for
change events).

I don't think it will be a particularly difficult move as ITK only has
one integration branch, and you are already using Gerrit for reviews.
I think doing this in a few weeks when there is funding (and we have a
little more availability to help should that be needed) would be
great.

Thanks,

Marcus