[Insight-developers] New valgrind defect in itkBSplineSyNImageRegistrationTest

Nicholas Tustison ntustison at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 10:17:09 EDT 2012

Hi Michael and Brian,

If you take a look at the valgrind error that Brad linked
to, it's basically the same as the two other registration
method valgrind errors where we perform optimization
within the method class itself because they have to be
handled individually.  What's interesting is that the only
other similar class where we don't get a valgrind error is
the itkTimeVaryingBSplineVelocityFieldImageRegistrationMethod
class but I just looked and there was a bug in which we
were calling the metric GetValueAndDerivative() function
twice.  I fixed that here

http://review.source.kitware.com/#/c/4823/

but I bet you that by fixing it we'll add another valgrind
error.

What I can't figure out is why.  For standard registration
in which we're using the base class,
ImageToImageRegistrationMethod, the optimizer calls
the GetValueAndDerivative() function and there's no
valgrind error.  What I'm wondering if is if the valgrind
checking sees the repeated resizing of the metric
derivative as a problem.

Nick