[Insight-developers] How do I make a module default to Off?

Williams, Norman K norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu
Wed Oct 31 15:14:13 EDT 2012

I'm giving up for the moment on getting DCMTK ImageIO working on Windows
with Visual Studios. The unix-like targets should work fine but there is a
hideous thicket of configuration problems that the Visual Studio build
system introduces, that I intend to either return to eventually or leave
to someone who thinks they can resolve them.

What I want to do now is this: If the compiler is MSVC, then ITKDCMTK and
ITKIODCMTK modules are turned off by default.  If the user turns them on,
then only for MSVC require ITK_USE_SYSTEM_DCMTK to be On.

To enforce that requirement for ITK_USE_SYSTEM_DCMTK I can add some logic
to Modules/ThirdParty/DCMTK/itk-module-init.cmake.

What I don't understand is where and how modules like
Modules/Bridge/VtkGlue are forced to default to OFF.

If anyone is really ambitious and is a Visual Studio whiz, they can take a
look at http://review.source.kitware.com/#/c/7830/

Brad King was extremely helpful with getting things working under OSX and
Linux and got most of the way there with Windows/Visual Studio.  The
problem with Visual Studio is that apparently, once DCMTK gets built as an
external project, all the programs that link to the DCMTK libraries fail
because the DCMTK libraries found depend on the wrong versions of Visual
Studio system libraries.

Kent Williams norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu