[Insight-developers] CMake minimum version number

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Wed May 1 14:05:40 EDT 2013

On 05/01/2013 01:54 PM, Cory Quammen wrote:
> Should the minimum CMake version be set to 2.8.8? Or do we want to go
> all the way to 2.8.10?

Go with 2.8.4 because that is the minimum feature set we need.

> On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 12:00 PM, Ho Cheung <hocheung20 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'd like to chime in that if Visual Studio 2012 support is official it will
>> require at least 2.8.10.

Users that have VS 2012 can install that version.  The constraint comes
from their environment, not from the project source, so it does not
influence our minimum version.

>> On Apr 22, 2013, at 9:50 AM, Andras Lasso <lasso at cs.queensu.ca> wrote:
>>
>> Minimum CMake 2.8.8 is strongly recommended for Windows builds that use
>> external projects due to
>> http://www.cmake.org/Bug/print_bug_page.php?bug_id=12957 (with previous
>> CMake versions complex builds randomly failed).

We already have code a bit lower than the top line:

 if(WIN32 OR NOT EXISTS /dev/urandom)
   cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 2.8.5)
 endif()

Change it to

 if(WIN32)
   cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 2.8.8)
 elseif(NOT EXISTS /dev/urandom)
   cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 2.8.5)
 endif()

but leave the very top line in the file as

 cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 2.8.4 FATAL_ERROR)

-Brad