[ITK-dev] Future of ITKApps

Matt McCormick matt.mccormick at kitware.com
Fri Nov 20 11:53:47 EST 2015

+1.

I patched most of the apps for VTK 6, which is what we have in the
Superbuild, so I would like to get that merged.

FLTK makes these building these quite finicky and hard to maintain.
There are many other better tools and demonstrations out there on how
to develop an app based on ITK. Yet, these apps still provide value
both in the functionality they provide and in the minimal,
self-contained demonstration of how to use ITK + VTK.

There was a discussion recently on GitHub on how to use one of the
Apps on Windows [1]. Following that thread, I created a Docker image
to run the apps [2]. This runs on OSX / Linux / Windows, and can be
interacted with on all platforms, including tablets, phones. People
will be able to use the apps in perpetuity without requiring further
maintenance.

I propose we create the create the Docker apps, then freeze
development.  ITKApps released with ITK 4.9 would be the final
release.

Thanks,
Matt

[1] https://github.com/InsightSoftwareConsortium/ITKDevelopmentEnvironment/issues/1