[Insight-users] TCL_TCLSH

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez@kitware.com
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 10:02:37 -0400

Hi Samuel,

"tclsh" is the interpreter shell for Tcl.
It is used in ITK for supporting testing,
more specifically it helps to run the about
250 tests programs that ITK has for quality
assurance and then submit the results to the
dashboard:

http://www.itk.org/Testing/Dashboard/MostRecentResults-Nightly/Dashboard.html

You don't need Tcl for ITK unless you plan to
submit tests to the ITK dashboard. This Tcl
based system is called "Dart" and can be used for
any software project. It is open source and can
be downloaded from:

http://public.kitware.com/Dart/HTML/Index.shtml

On the other hand, Tcl can be quite useful for VTK
because VTK classes can be wrapped to be used from
the Tcl interpreter. A lot of people find useful
to work in an interpreted environment instead of
having to go through the compile/link cycles of C++.

Tcl wrapping will be available soon for ITK. This
is a challenging process due to the intensive use
of templates in ITK.