[Insight-users] Re: metaimage format

Stephen R. Aylward aylward at unc . edu
Thu, 08 Aug 2002 12:03:10 -0400

Hi,

You can use the MetaImageImporter in the Examples directory to create a
meta-header file to read your data.   That is, the MetaImageImporter
asks as series of questions and based on your answers creates a
meta-header file that points to your data and allows your data to be
read as a metaImage.

The meta-format is exactly that - a general format that consists of a
text header that is followed-by or points to your data.   The text
header uses a tagged file format to describe your data.   Raw, bmp, and
even dicom files can be "converted" to metaImage format in this manner.
  The data can exist in one file or in one slice per file.   Vector
voxels are supported, etc.

There is also some data in Insight/Utilities/MetaIO/docs

You need to get today's CVS checkout to get these files.

If you have questions - feel free to contact me.

Thanks,
Stephen

Luis Ibanez wrote:

> Hi Simon,
>
> A (truly) minimal description of the Metaimage format can be
> found at   http://www.itk.org/HTML/Data.htm
>
> However MetaImage files have a much larger scope. The format
> is authored by Stephen Aylward at UNC.
>
>    http://caddlab.rad.unc.edu/technologies/index.html
>
> I'm cc'ing Stephen since he will be in a better position
> to direct you to relevant documentation.
>
> Regards,
>
>   Luis

> Simon Warfield wrote:
>
>> Hi Luis,
>>
>>   Is there a description of the MetaImage file format somewhere ?
>>   I haven't been able to find it in the ITK documentation or via google.
>>

>>> Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 09:25:17 -0400
>>> From: Luis Ibanez <luis.ibanez@kitware.com>
>>> To: Damion Shelton <dmshelto@andrew.cmu.edu>
>>> Cc: Insight-Developers <insight-developers@public.kitware.com>,
>>>     aylward <aylward@rad.unc.edu>
>>> Subject: Re: [Insight-developers] file reader behavior
>>>

>>> Hi Damion,
>>>
>>> The code for MetaImage reader has been recently
>>> reworked by UNC. It is possible that during this
>>> process the management of MetaImageIO has being
>>> modified to better match the style of the other
>>> readers.
>>>
>>>  Luis
>>>
>>> --
>>> (BTW the MetaImage changes happened around monday
>>> this week)
>>>

>> --
>> Simon

Dr. Stephen R. Aylward
Assistant Professor of Radiology
Adjunct Assistant Professor of Computer Science
http://caddlab.rad.unc.edu
aylward@unc.edu
(919) 966-9695