[Insight-users] Re: Fwd: Re: anisotropic filter - segmentation fault

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez@kitware.com
Fri, 06 Dec 2002 17:36:30 -0500

Hi Ghassan,

The reason for the segmentation fault is that you
are actually instantiating an

     "AnisotropicDiffusionImageFilter"

http://www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1AnisotropicDiffusionImageFilter.html

This is the base class for a family of filters
and it is not intended to be instantiated.

You may want to instantiate any of its derived classed:

CurvatureAnisotropicDiffusionImageFilter
http://www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1CurvatureAnisotropicDiffusionImageFilter.html

GradientAnisotropicDiffusionImageFilter
http://www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1GradientAnisotropicDiffusionImageFilter.html

VectorCurvatureAnisotropicDiffusionImageFilter
http://www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1VectorCurvatureAnisotropicDiffusionImageFilter.html

VectorGradientAnisotropicDiffusionImageFilter
http://www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1VectorGradientAnisotropicDiffusionImageFilter.html

I just tried your code with

itkCurvatureAnisotropicDiffusionImageFilter

and works ok.

Please note that a random image is probably not the best
input for this type of filter since this is an edge preserving
smoothing. The random image is 'edges-everywhere' so the output
will look as random as the input.

You may be in a more interesting case using the BrainWeb
images from the ftp server.

Probably the best advice about iteration, conductance an
timestep is what Josh recommended on a previous email:

http://www.itk.org/pipermail/insight-users/2002-March/000169.html

 > For parameters, start with about 10-15 iterations of the filters using
 > Conductance parameters of 1.0 and TimeStep of 0.125.  You can lower
 > the time step value, but values much higher than 0.125 will not
 > produce stable solution

Please let us know if you have further questions.