[Insight-users] Question on registration of cryogenic RGB images

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez@kitware.com
Mon, 09 Dec 2002 08:27:15 -0500

Hi Fucang,

0) It looks like a single slice will have take
    around 26Mb. (asuming 1 byte/ per RGB component)
    Is this right ?

1) It is not a problem to register images
    with different resolutions. Just make sure
    that the values of spacing are set correctly
    (that is, the distance in millimeter between
    pixel centers). Registration is performed in
    physical space coordinates.

2) Don't worry about your old computer. It fits
    the initial requirement set for the toolkit.
    It may be slow, but it should be possible to
    do it.

3) For visuallization you may want to reduce the
    resolution but probably some experimentation
    will be needed here to find the right resolution
    to visualize.
    Note that you could use the multiresolution
    framework

4) About registering RGB color images. Bill Lorensen
    made some validation studies and found that using
    only the red channel is in general sufficient for
    registering color images.

    We haven't implemented RGB metrics yet. It is in
    fact a matter of demand. If you find that a single
    channel registration is not good enough, please
    let us know so we can move the RGB metrics up in
    the list of priorities.

5) By differences in intensities do you mean that
    the brightness in the center one slice is different
    from the brightness on the borders ?
    or do you mean that the brightness of one slice
    is different from the brightness of the next slice ?

    If one image has a different brightness scale than
    the others. The effect varies depending on the Metric.

    a- MutualInformation is insensitive to brightness
       changes.

    b- MeanSquares will is sensitive to differences
       in brightness between the two images being
       registered

    c- NormalizedCorrelation will compensate for
       *multiplicative* changes in intensity but not
       for additive changes in intensity

    d- PatternIntensity will be sensitive to the
       intensity changes. More sensitive to additive
       changes than multiplicative changes.

    BTW How big are the differences in brightness ?
    a factor of 1.5 ? 1.2 ?

6) You don't need to segment the images before
    registration.

Please let us know if you have futher questions,