[Insight-users] ITK install

Neil Killeen Neil.Killeen@atnf.csiro.au
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 12:05:00 +1100 (EST)

Hi all again

my ultimate goal is to have itk, vtk, and fltk all installed
in our system so that we may use these toolkits to develop
our own medical imaging software.

I have installed vtk and fltk in

/usr/local/include/vtk
/usr/local/lib{vtk,fltk}

i would like to install itk in

/usr/local/include/itk
/usr/local/lib/itk

I find on running ccmake that no ITK install location
is presented to me.  I bravely tried

% make install

on my ITK build (and get ready with the ctl-c !)

But it used the CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX that it picked up from
the VTK installation.

Well I suppose this might seem tolerable, as I am going to put them
both in /usr/local ultimately.  But as it happens, I
originally installed vtk somewhere else, and then copied
the installed files (.h and .a) to their final /usr/local
destinations.

So now the ITK install process wants to poke my install files
into the original VTK install location from which I will
have to copy them.

Why doesn't ITK have its own install path variable ?  That
would be clearer and more flexible, I think.

For example, if I chose NOT to install VTK in /usr/local
but somewhere else such as

/source/vtk/binaries/{solaris,linux}

it would not be appropriate that the ITK files go under that
tree.

cheers
Neil