[Insight-users] 3D rigid image registration

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez@kitware.com
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 09:17:17 -0500

Hi Ghassan,

The advantage in the way MutualInformation
is computed is that it uses only 50 sample
pixels to compute the metric value.

This pixels are selected randomly from the
image using the itk::RandomImageIterator.

The other metrics are computing the value
using *all* the pixels in the FixedRegion
defined by the user. This is typically
much bigger than 50 pixels....

We could imaging to use the RandomIterator
too in the other metrics and estimate
their values by sampling... It will require
some tests to find the sweet spot between
computing time and the qualitiy of the
estimation. (e.g. how many sample pixels to
take)

Curiously this will require minimum changes
on the metrics...