[Insight-users] MSVC++ 6.0 compilation error

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez@kitware.com
Mon, 06 May 2002 10:10:16 -0400

Hi Andrea,

We are trying to figure out the reason
for VC++ to crash during compilation.

Your report looks different from Bradley's
in that you says that you "have to reboot
the system", so it is not just VC++ crashing,
it seems to be Windows itself crashing.

ITK is building sucessfully in the variety
of VC++ installations we use for development.
However, we rarely use the ALL_BUILD option.
One guess is that the large amount of
dependencies in ITK can be part of the
problem.

One Posibility:

We expect Service Pack 5 for VC++ to be installed:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/sp/vs6sp5/default.asp

Three questions:

1) Are you using the Beta release
     or the cvs version ?

2) Do you receive any kind of error
     message when the crash happens ?

3) Is VC++ alwasy crashing in a
     consistent way, or is sometimes
     crashing and sometimes not.
     (or is it crashing at different
     stages of the built). ?

--

Could you please made the following
test for us ?

1) Could you experiment if the crashing
     also happens when you select different
     compiling configurations ?

     So select:

     Build->
     Set Active Configuration ->

     The options are:

     ALL_BUILD Debug
     ALL_BUILD Release
     ALL_BUILD RelWithDebInfo

     Please let us know what you find.

2) Reduce the amount of code to be compiled
     by ALL_BUILD in the first built.

     You can achieve this by running CMake and
     disabling EXAMPLES and TESTING the first
     time that you build.  That will allow you
     to get the basic ITK libraries built.

     Then you can make a second pass with CMake
     and enable Examples and Testing.

3) This last could be a bit anoying to do,
     but if you have a chance:  Have you noticed
     what was VC++ doing at the moment of the
     crash ?
     a) Was VC++ compiling code or linking ?
     b) What part of the toolkit was being
        processed at the time of the crash ?