[Insight-users] Snake?, Yes

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez@kitware.com
Mon, 04 Nov 2002 09:05:14 -0500

Hi Waltraud,

There are several flavors of active contours in ITK.

1) The  first is the traditional expanding Mesh
    controled by a force with a constant component
    and an image derived component.

This approach is implemented by Dr.Metaxas group
in the classes:

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1DeformableMeshFilter.html
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1DeformableMesh3DFilter.html

2) The second approach is based on Level Sets.
    The surface is represented as the level set
    of a function in a higher dimensional space.

The evolution of the function under differential
equations determines the evolution of the embebded
surface. This is implemented in the GeodesicActiveContour
class:

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1GeodesicActiveContourImageFilter.html

3)  Similar effects can be obtained in general with
     level sets approached. You may want to consider the
     ThresholdSegmentation filter:

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1ThresholdSegmentationLevelSetImageFilter.html

and the LaplacianSegmentation filter:

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1LaplacianSegmentationLevelSetImageFilter.html

Please let us know if you have any question about
the use of these classes.