[Insight-users] Registration?

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez@kitware.com
Mon, 04 Nov 2002 11:58:54 -0500

Hi Linglan,

Some question about your registration:

1) Are you performing this registration entirely in 2D ?

2) Are you registering the cryogenic data to itself ?
    that is, RGB to RGB ?

    ITK current metrics do not manage RGB pixels directly.
    It will be quite easy, however, to create a new metric
    based on existing ones.  I'll be glad to help you create
    a new metric supporting RGB data.

3) How large do you estimate the missalignment
    could be ?

    If the missalignemen is large, you may want to use
    the multiresolution framework. However this will
    add memory requirements to the problem since a
    pyramid of images is created. If the missalignment
    is small, a direct registration could be sufficient.

    Each slice in RGB will make about 265 Mbytes...
    In the registration process, ITK metrics are the
    only components that directly interact with the
    images. The metrics are not streamed at this point,
    although some of them they could be.

    If you have about 1 Gigabyte of memory, you could be
    able to run the single level registration 2D for these
    slices.

4)  We could easily modify the registration framework
     to evaluate the metrics is a set of selected regions.
     Rigth now, you provide a specific rectangular (ND)
     region on the fixed image.  This could be replaced
     with a set of regions, in order to require only one
     full slice to be on memory for the moving image,
     while the fixed image will be loaded as a set of
     smaller regions of interest.

5) Another option is to select a population of points
    from the moving image and perform PointSetToImage
    registartion. In this way the points could be more
    sparsely distributed on the moving image than a
    set of regions proposed in (4).

Please let us know what options do you consider
reasonable for your registration problem,