[Insight-users] Installation build errors : gcc 3.2 ok

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez@kitware.com
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 08:34:44 -0500

Hi Neil,

ITK do compile cleanly with gcc 3.1
It also compiles without problem with gcc 3.2

There is a nightly build on gcc3.2 on the dashboard.

The typical problems we have found with these
compilers are

1) inconsistent installation (e.g. mixing
    libraries between the different versions
    of the compiler).

2) inconsistent setup of the CC and CXX
    environment variables. Before you run
    CMake you have to make sure that CXX
    points to the g++ executable and CC
    points to the gcc executable of the
    corresponding version. (CC should not
    point to g++).

-------

Below are the safe options for building gcc3.2
and get a consistent installation:

configure --prefix=/usr/local
           --enable-shared
           --enable-threads
           --enable-languages=c,c++,f77
           --enable-version-specific-runtime-libs

------

If you lack administrator rights, you can build gcc
in your own account as a stands alone application.
Just select --prefix=$HOME/mygcc.

At the current price of hard disks it is not worth
to waste programmers time with a badly installed
compiler. You can build gcc 3.2 correctly in about
one hour, fill up some megabytes in your account,
and get rid of the problem altogether.

At this point it seems to be reasonable to start
dropping gcc 2.95~2.96 and migrate to 3.1 or 3.2.
New Linux distributions are being shipped with
gcc 3.2 anyways.

Please let us know if you find any further problems.