[Insight-users] Centerline length of a "pipe"

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez@kitware.com
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 00:48:52 -0400

Hi Ramu,

The applications can be found in a separate CVS checkout

     cvs -d :pserver....   co InsightApplications

You can also download tar.gz  and .zip files with
the applications code.

Instruction are available in the itk download page
http://www.itk.org/HTML/Download.php

---

The two applications in question are

1)
InsightApplications/Curve2DExtractor
http://www.itk.org/HTML/Curve2DExtraction.htm
which is in CVS under
http://www.itk.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/InsightApplications/Curves2DExtractor/?cvsroot=Insight

2)
InsightApplication/Morphogenesis
http://www.itk.org/HTML/Morphogenesis.htm
which is in CVS under
http://www.itk.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/InsightApplications/Morphogenesis/?cvsroot=Insight

In (2) you may want to take a look at the
species  named:

    "Gradient Eating Bacteria".

These bacteria reproduce under a condition of
the extracellular matrix.
(Which in this case is your image  :-)   )

Here is an animation of this species segmenting
a ventricle from an MRI image
http://www.itk.org/Art/MorphogenesisSegmentation.mpg

The bacteria is colored using three pigment
genes conveniently named R, G and B. Color
changes made evident cellular differentiation.

This species is pressure-sensitive and stop
replicating when pressure from neighbor cells
is higher than a threshold. This mechanism
will ensure that cellular division only
happens in the direction of the ends of the
pipe.

You can basically put an egg-cell in the
middle of the pipe, set the maximum cell
raidus to half of the pipe radius,
and...let them reproduce...

The U-shape or L-shape will not be a problem
as long as the pipe diameter everywhere is larger
than the maximum cellular radius. A factor of
2 should be a safe range.

BTW, You will have to think in a condition
for stopping the cells when they get out
of the pipe-ends...

You certainly don't want this little guys
replicating all over the image.

---

Let us know if you find any problem with
the applications.