[Insight-users] Reading DICOM series

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez@kitware.com
Sun, 20 Apr 2003 10:54:58 -0400

--------------030705010009010802030506

Hi Abhishek,

You are right, the current implementation of DICOM
readers in ITK does not collect the slices into a
single volume.  There is some work in progress for
having a Series reader that will collect slices from
individual N-1 Dimensional files, like PNG, and
DICOM. This will be available in the mean term future.

In the meantime here are the typical solutions
for reading DICOM volumes:

1) Write a MetaImageHeader
    This is a small text file holding information
    about the image: spacing, dimensions, pixelt type...
    This header can hold the list of dicom files
    you want to read. The only restriction is that
    the files must be uncompressed.

    The easy way to create a MetaImage header is to
    use the application : MetaImageImporter
    that is available in:

    InsightApplications/MetaImageImporter.

    you can also take an existing metaimage header
    and modify it in order to fit your needs.
    Please find attached one file that you can edit
    it with your favorite text editor.

2) Jolinda Smith from the Lewis Center for Neuroimaging
    at the University of Oregon has developed a nice
    application that allows you to load DICOM series and
    export them in MetaImage and Analyze format (among others).

    She graciously has made this application publicly
    available at:

       http://lcni.uoregon.edu/~jolinda/MRIConvert

    There is a fresh version updated in april 14th.

3) Jeff Brubaker and Stephen R. Aylward, at the UNC
    CADDLab developed a DICOM query/move application called
    "MIND" (whit the motto: "MIND is not DICOM"). This
    application loads DICOM files over the network and export
    them in MetaImage format. This application is open source
    and it is available at:

        http://www.jeffro.net/mind/
        http://caddlab.rad.unc.edu/software/MIND/

-------------

Abhishek Banerjee wrote:

> However, I found that DICOMImageIO2 class supports
> only 2D Dicom images and the tag 0x0028 0x0008 for
> number of slices is missing. I am sure you must have
> also thought abt it but I have modified the code to
> suit 3D DICOM iamges. Please tell me if you all are
> also working on it . Because I would rather update the
> cvs rather put my ouwn code.
>
> Plese reply with ur views
>
> Abhishek Banerjee
> India