AW: [Insight-users] Which segmentation algorithm can fulfill this task?

Tue, 23 Dec 2003 09:29:16 -0500

Hi Chuyan,

The ThresholdSegmentationLevelSet method is capable
of manging contours that are partially inside and
partially outside the object to be segmented.

You should try the application:

    ThresholdSegmentationLevelSetFltkGui.

available in

    InsightApplications

You can intentionaly draw a shape that is partially inside
and partially outside the object to be segmented, then let
evolve the level set. You will see how the contour propagates
in the direction of the edges.

There are several other LevelSet methods that will be capable
of propagating the level set front both outward and inward.

You may want to take a look at the book:

   "Level Set Methods and Fast Marching Methods"
   by J.A. Sethian
   Cambridge University Press.

for a description of the characteristics of Level Set
methods. Most of ITK level set methods are based on
this book.