[Insight-users] N3 algorithm with ITK

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon, 29 Dec 2003 11:24:52 -0500

Hi Radhika,

The N3 algorithm by Sled has not yet been implemented in ITK.
However, if any ITK user have done so and is willing to contribute
his/her code to the toolkit we will be happy to add it.

The MRI inhomogeneity correction method currently available in ITK
is an implementation of the method by Styner et al. described in

"Parametric estimate of intensity inhomogeneities applied to MRI"
  Martin Styner, G. Gerig, Christian Brechbuehler, Gabor Szekely,
  IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON MEDICAL IMAGING; 19(3), pp. 153-165, 2000,
  (http://www . ia . unc . edu/public/styner/docs/tmi00 . pdf)

This paper by Styner makes the following mention to the Sled method:

   "A correction algorithm fully based on the histogram was proposed
    by Sled [20][21]. It requires a parametric model for the bias
    field but not a decomposition of the intensities into tissue
    classes.  The algorithm assumes that the histogram of an image
    represents the probability distribution of a given signal. The
    histogram of the undistorted image is estimated iteratively from
    the current histogram by estimating a parametric bias field with
    a histogram sharpening goal function".

where the citations [20] and [21] are:

[20] J.G. Sled, P. Zijdenbos and A.C. Evans
      "A comparison of retrospective intensity non-uniformity
       correction methods for MRI".
       Information Processing Medical Imaging
       Proc, 15th Int. Conf. IMPI'97, vol.1230, pp 459-464,1997.

[21] J.G. Sled, A.P. Zijdenbos and A.C. Evans.
      "A Nonparametric Method for Automatic Correction of
       Intensity Nonuniformity in MRI Data"
      IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, Vol 17, No 1. Feb 1998.

You will find an interesting list of Inhomogeneity correctoin tools
compiled by Finn A. Nielsen at the Technical University of Denmark

http://hendrix . imm . dtu . dk/staff/fnielsen/bib/Nielsen2001BibSegmentation/Nielsen2001BibSegmentation . html#SECTION00060000000000000000
(which includes both the Styner's and Sled's methods, among others).

The code for the N3 algorithm was made available by Sled at
McConnell Brain Imaging Centre, Montreal Neurological Institute

         http://www . bic . mni . mcgill . ca/software/N3/

It is implemented in Perl and the source code is available,
but I couldn't figure out any license terms stating what you
are allowed to do with the code.

Please let us know if you have further questions,