[Insight-users] Help needed on Metric values !!!!

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez@kitware.com
Mon, 03 Feb 2003 11:19:24 -0500

Hi Sateesh,

The output of this example has by columns

1)   Iteration number
2)   Metric value
3-6) Matrix Coefficients of the 2D AffineTransform
7-8) Values of translation on X and Y.

The value of the metric tells how similar the fixed
image is to the transformed version of the moving
image. The purpose of registration is to optimize
this matching.

This particular example is using the
"MattesMutualInformation" metric. Which is an
enhanced version of the Mutual Information measure
developed by Viola and Wells.

You may find a description of the Metrics characteristics
in the softwareGuide:

    http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

Metrics are discussed under section 7.8.  MutualInformation
is treated in section 7.8.4, pdf-page 215.

Mattes implementataion is discussed in pdf-page 217.

The discussion of the MultiResImageRegistration2.cxx example
can be found in  the SoftwareGuide in section 7.5.2,
pdf-page 202.

All the Examples in the Insight/Examples directory are
associated to sections in the SoftwareGuide. You may find
easier to start reading from the document and then moving
on to try the examples and modify their code.

Please let us know if you have further questions,