[Insight-users] Mesh issues

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez@kitware.com
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 00:01:31 -0500

Hi Mathieu,

1) There  are no current plans for a
    MeshFile Writer or Reader in the toolkit.

    The current structure of the Mesh is
    so flexible that probably we should
    anticipate a very open format like XML
    in case such a Reader/Writer were designed.

2) Using vtk2itk as a replacement is probably
    the best approach at this time.

    (Another option may be to write a simple
    writer on your own...restricted to the
    specific type of mesh you want to use)

3) Yes, vtkPolyData is probably a better
    choice. The simple way to read a mesh will
    be to read VTK with the vtkPolyDataReader.
http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkPolyData

4) The main difference between the vtkPolyData and
    the vtkUnstructuredGrid is the way in which
    cells are represented internally.
    The vtkPolyData is better suited for interfacing
    with the itkMesh.

Please let us know if you find any problem,