[Insight-users] Auxilliary/vtk

Neil Killeen Neil.Killeen@atnf.csiro.au
Thu, 2 Jan 2003 15:23:06 +1100 (EST)

Luis et al

I am now attempting to follow the instructions in
InsightDocuments/CourseWare/Training/GettingStarted-II.ppt

in order to write a little application that uses ITK to
read an image and then VTK to display it.

STep 6 of this document indicates the use of an interface class

itk::itkImageToVTKImageFilter

which I find lives in

InsightToolkit-1.0.0/Auxiliary/vtk

which was not  built when I last built ITK.

Question:

is using this class the one true mechanism to follow for
interfacing with VTK ?  If so, I assume it will be built automatically
when I turn the USE_VTK  switch on inside the ITK CMakeLists.txt file ?

As I recall (somewhat vaguely now), I ended up  (on advice) turning the
USE_VTK  switches off, because an error in VTK was high-jacking
the configuration process (and forced the ITK build to be installed
under the VTK binary tree - there was no independent control of
where the ITK install went) and because some VTK demos did
not build.

So I don't really want to go down this path again unless I have to...

thanks
Neil